I should be dead in a few weeks.

Posted on Updated on

 

rocky-mountain-spotted-fever-bacteria-shapeNo joke…It’s true, I should be dead in a few weeks. Let me tell you how this all started.  My Initial symptoms included Fever then a spotty rash followed by Joint Pain and a headache that hurt even when I looked left or right. After 5 days of this my wife made me go to the Emergency Room.

Apparently I was bitten by a tick and I had contracted the wonderful rickettsia illness commonly known as Blue Disease or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. It is the most common rickettsial illness reported in the United States. Medical history also states that if infected you have a 75% chance of death with the other 25% having an extremely reduced quality of life.

It causes seizures; inflammation of the heart and lungs, Kidney Failure and sometimes requires the amputation of fingers or toes where gangrene can develop. I could not believe it. This tiny little spec of a bug has taken down a 6’3” 195 pound man.  Ughh.   There is good news though, since the 1940’s, if treated early we can completely eradicate the disease from the body in as little as 10 days and the medicine only cost $5.00. Hoo Ray…I am very happy about this as is my family.  So while I should be dead from the disease, I can report that I am 100% healthy again and all is well, but what do I do with this extension of life?  First and foremost I’m thankful.

I am extremely thankful that I live in a country that allows us access to medical marvels that save lives daily from easily cured sickness.  There are police officers a phone call away to protect my community.  If we work hard we can earn a living and buy the things we need or want.  We have an education system that provides 13 years of training and knowledge. Best of all if I want to seek God I can do so freely.  There are Christ Centered Churches Nation Wide that I can be a part of.  We are blessed beyond belief or understanding and it has become our normal.

But what do we do with that?  We work hard, pray and provide good things to our families through the graces of God.  Is that the American Dream?  Are we to simply work hard and enjoy the fruits of the labor and medical advances of others?  Is this what we are called to do?  I believe with my extension on life I am called to be a good steward of the gifts I have been given.

1 Peter 4:10

As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace

Matthew 25:14-30

“For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability.

In our Christian lives we are stewards of so many different things at varying levels and we are called to use them to serve one another.  For some it is being a steward in your home leading your family in prayer and love.  For others your level of stewardship is to GO to work and be light for those around you, to be an example of a follower of Christ.  Yes it true, being the best Plumber, Doctor, CEO, Server, Salesperson or other occupation is what God Calls us to be. Others are prayer warriors on their knees daily making supplication for family, the church or the country. For others its involvement at church by simply cleaning the floors or helping in the children’s ministry TEACHING.   While others are gifted to help a local Mission to share the good news to those in need so they may be BAPTIZED by the Holy Spirit.  Of course there are those that go into to the world drawn by The Great Commission.

Matthew 28:19

“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirt”

This is one of the reasons Driven 11 has partnered with Food for the Hungry (FH).  Driven 11 is called to be a messenger to the great Stewards in our Christian Communities here in the United States, to inspire the world to put our Faith in Action. You see in the States we have access to medical advancements, churches, jobs and tons of resources if we really want them.  The realty though is in many other countries and cultures simple don’t.  A tick bite or drinking contaminated water means the end of a life from a very curable disease.

More importantly communities and children are starving for hope, to know they are loved by God.  We can make a difference together positively changing communities and the lives of children worldwide.   However most of us don’t feel like we can physically go to these locations to help be a part of the great commission.   We are busy being a steward of the things we have at home.  This is true, noble and understood…so what can you do?

Ephesians 6:18 

praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints

First and foremost we can help by being a good steward in our prayer life.  Prayer and supplication for others and the saints is a powerful tool.  I’m asking that you pray continually for Food for the Hungry, the missionaries in those roles and that these communities are touched by God.

Acts 20:32-35

35 In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’

Everyone is called to the Great Commission but there are other ways you can GO!  We are all a part of the Body of Christ and we have different roles and you can be a part of that by sponsoring a child.  Sponsorship through FH provides nutrition, education and the Gospel message to the child and the entire community because we know it takes more than just feeding a child to create impact.  The biggest impact though is through the letters you get to send and receive from your Sponsored Child. The letters are life changing and so important to spreading the Gospel to these communities that would otherwise not have access. What’s really wonderful …if you ever have the opportunity to physically GO…you are welcome to, encouraged and guided to visit your child.

I don’t know what level of Stewardship you are at today.  Maybe it is praying diligently daily.  You may be called to teach at Sunday school or to lead a small group?  It’s possible that today you are meant to be a light at your work for others.  All I ask is that you look at the blessings in your life and ask “What am I a steward of today Lord and where do you want me to be?”

Many ask why God allows such poverty and pain in the world.  Why won’t God do something?  He did, he made us.  

 

Sponsorship button

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s